As a member of the Legislative Council for the past four years, I supported fiscally conservative financial policies and goals, and stood alongside my colleagues on many decisions and actions taken over the past two years. Yet I’ve also stood alone, or at times in a small minority, on other issues — namely, standing up against drastic reductions to the proposed Board of Education budget.
- Just as I would never support irresponsible increases in our budgets, I also strongly disagree with the LC’s dramatic reductions made to the funding requested by our Board of Education in recent years.
- We have an exceptional school system thanks to outstanding teachers and staff. We should strive to restore some balance to school funding that allows us to address deferred needs in maintenance, technology and academic programming.
I believe that by funding appropriate levels of town and education budgets, coupled with sound fiscal policy, it is possible – even in times of economic challenge – to support investment in the long-term goals and interests of our community.
Understanding public sentiment and giving my professional all to earn the trust of the public is what I am about. I’m a team player who can synthesize facts, and identify commonalities of opinion across diverse groups. I endeavor to always base decisions on facts and data, with clear rationale to frame the outcome.
- President, Harrison Group. A strategic marketing consulting and research services firm — started in Newtown. I serve as a senior advisor to clients spanning high tech, interactive entertainment, media, telecommunications and consumer packaged goods.
Qualifications and Public Service:
- Legislative Council, current member (served on Education Committee and Municipal Operation committee)
- Fairfield Hills Master Plan Amendment Work Group (2012/2013)
- Fairfield Hills Master Plan Review Committee (2010/2011)
- Legislative Council (Appointed July ’09). Co-Chairman Board of Education and Municipal Facilities Management subcommittee
- Board of Education liaison for Hawley School PTA Executive Board (2008/2009)
- Duties included attending all BOE meetings, creating reports summarizing relevant topics in order to keep Hawley (and other PTAs) informed, and particularly during the budget season.
- Survey of Newtown Residents, “The Way Things Are in Newtown” (2007/2008)
- Volunteered my time and my firm’s resources to survey a statistically representative sample of Newtown households on a range of topics affecting the town and its residents. Project was completed pro bono, at no expense to the town.
- Project was run independent of the town government, but gained input and consensus from a wide range of organizations, including the Board of Selectmen, Legislative Council, Economic Development Commission, Newtown Parks and Recreation, Newtown Youth and Family Services, Newtown Senior Center, The Pootatuck Watershed Association, Friends of Fairfield Hills, The Newtown Bee, and individuals from various school PTAs.
- Volunteer and Co-Founder – Sandy Hook Promise
- Family: Wife, Elaine. Two children, Matthew (age 12) and Eddie (age 6)
- Resident of Newtown for 14 years – 148 Currituck Rd
- BS in Business Administration and Marketing Science, University of Connecticut