Candidate for Legislative Council, District 3
I have served on the Board of Finance for the past two years. While many factors can weigh heavily in any town or education proposal, a sound financial analysis serves as the foundation for responsible decision-making. In my view, the 6-person board vigorously debated each topic we were asked to consider. Given my unique background in strategic planning and technology, I’m proud to have contributed a fresh perspective to these discussions.
I am a candidate for the Legislative Council to apply my strategic thinking to Newtown’s future. There are many components to any proposed budget item, capital project, ordinance, or other proposed action, and I welcome the chance to ask the questions and propose recommendations to guide Newtown in a responsible manner.
Professional & Academic Experience
- MBA, Washington University in St. Louis
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University
- BS, Computer Science and Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington
My professional experience includes both engineering and business roles, and I have worked in high-tech for 20+ years. My last corporate job included strategic planning, marketing, and M&A (mergers & acquisitions) for multi-billion dollar initiatives at a Fortune 100 company. I am now the Founder and President at an Education Technology company.
- Friends of the CH Booth Library – Volunteer at the Friends Annual Book Sale and sorting room
- VFW Post 308 – Served as a judge for the 2017 Teacher of the Year competition and in the 2014 and 2015 Voices of Democracy high school competition. Led a writing workshop for middle school Patriot’s Pen participants.
- STEM Advisory Board Member (Rep Esty, CT-5) – Currently serve on the STEM advisory board to Newtown’s U.S. Congressional Representative, Elizabeth Esty. Served as a judge for the Congressional App Challenge in 2016.
- Newtown Arts Festival – Initiated the literary events programming for the Newtown Arts Festival in 2014, and coordinated the “3 Wordsmiths” and “4 Wordsmiths” events in 2014 and 2015 respectively.
I grew up in Newtown and attended K-12 in the Newtown Public School system where I was involved in soccer, basketball, orchestra, and band. I am now a pickleball fanatic and play regularly at Treadwell Park.
After graduating from high school in 1985, my higher education and professional journey led me to live in Texas, Maryland, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and California, before I returned to Newtown in 2013 to care for my aging father after my mother passed away. My dad is 91 now, and I am grateful for our time together.
I love to read and am an avid year-round volunteer with the Friends of the C.H. Booth Library.