Legislative Council, District 1
My aim upon re-election to the Legislative Council is to support responsible and adequate funding across three priorities: road maintenance, education and public safety. I am the father of students at Reed School and Newtown High School, and I want every family with kids in Newtown to feel confident in my voice. I will continue to be at the table to advocate for and support the needs of Newtown’s schools. Still, funding for all educational and municipal programs must be done with recognition of and sensitivity to the tax burden it lays at the feet of our neighbors, particularly in light of the uncertainty of future funding for Newtown from the State level. I believe that funding appropriate levels of town and education budgets, coupled with sound fiscal policy, make it possible — even in times of economic challenge — to support investment in the long-term goals and interests of our community.
Over the past six years, as a member of the Legislative Council and current Vice Chairman, I’ve supported fiscally conservative financial policies and goals. I’ve stood alongside my colleagues on many decisions and actions taken. Yet, I’ve also stood alone, or at times in a small minority, on other issues where I did not agree. I believe our town government works best when our deliberations include a mix of perspectives. I hope for a newly elected Legislative Council that better reflects the full range of viewpoints held by Newtown’s taxpayers.
I am known to be a reasonable and rational team player. I can synthesize facts and identify commonalities of opinion across diverse perspectives. I always endeavor to base decisions on facts and data, with clear rationale to frame the outcome. I seek nothing more than to lend my experience, common sense and leadership to help keep Newtown the great place we all chose to raise our families, enjoy our friends, and live a wonderful life.
Professional & Academic Experience
Managing Partner, YouGov/Harrison Group. A strategic marketing consulting and research services firm — started in Newtown in 1996, acquired in 2010.
I serve as a senior advisor to clients in a range of industries spanning high tech, interactive entertainment, media, finance and consumer packaged goods. I provide strategic counsel to clients on the full breadth of marketing issues impacting product development and decision making at every stage of a product or service’s lifecycle, from concept incubation through post-release growth and market maturity. My work has led to lasting client relationships with some of the top brands and companies in the world.
BS in Business Administration and Marketing Science, University of Connecticut
Current/past volunteer positions
- Legislative Council, current Vice Chairman (2012-present). Serve on Education Committee and Finance Committee
- Municipal Building Strategic Plan Committee, representing the Legislative Council (2015-2016)
- Fairfield Hills Master Plan Amendment Work Group (2012-2013)
- Fairfield Hills Master Plan Review Committee (2010-2011)
- Legislative Council (Appointed to fill vacancy, July ’09). Co-Chairman of the Board of Education and Municipal Facilities Management subcommittee
- Board of Education liaison for Hawley School PTA Executive Board (2008-2009)
- Survey of Newtown Residents, “The Way Things Are in Newtown” (2007/2008)
Volunteered my time and my firm’s resources to survey a statistically representative sample of Newtown households on a range of topics affecting the town and residents, and provide insights and guidance to town leadership. Project was completed at no expense to the town
- Project was run independent of the town government, but gained input and consensus from a wide range of elected and appointed boards and commissions as well as many town organizations
- Volunteer at Spark Project, Avielle Foundation
- Co-Founder and former board member, Sandy Hook Promise
- Family: Wife, Elaine; Two children, Eddie (Reed School) and Matt (NHS); Two dogs (Louie and Skye); and a cat (Pinecone)
- Proud resident of Newtown for 19 years