Dear Newtown Community,
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Philip J. Cruz and I have been endorsed by the Democratic Town Committee to run as a candidate for the office of the Police Commission in this year’s town election. Throughout all the years that my wife, Sandy, and I have lived in Newtown, we have seen many changes occur, more good than bad. Now after facing a life changing Global Pandemic, our community will be faced with new challenges as we move forward. For example: How do we want Newtown to navigate into the new normal future? What do we want from our town ? Where do we want our town to go? How do we want our town to get there?
As we continue our post pandemic journey into the future together, I believe with God’s grace, that I am capable of meeting these challenges and becoming a driving force to help the Newtown community grow. That is why I would like to ask for your support and vote in this year’s November election.
I understand that there are many well-qualified and talented individuals running for office this November. You may know of their qualifications, but not of mine. These are my qualifications that I bring as a candidate to this election.
- Sandy and I have been members of Newtown Community for the past forty years, and have a vested interest in seeing our hometown grow.
- I am a Retired United States Army Officer having served 25 years in the U.S. Army, holding many Logistic Leadership and Commanding Officer positions.
- I understand parents’ concerns regarding their children’s safety having two children of my own that have grown up in the Newtown school system.
- Over the past 26 years in education, I have served as numerous student school advisors, held various coaching positions, and been a student teacher mentor to aspiring college students, along with holding many other leadership positions in the Newtown School District.
- I am currently an 8th grade Social Studies teacher at Newtown Middle School.
- I served as the President of Newtown Federation of Teachers Local 1727 (1999-2002)
- I was an alternate member on the Newtown Planning and Zoning for 2 years.
- I served as a voting member on the Water Sewer Authority for four years
- I have 17 years of business experience in the electronics industry working for companies such as Intel, National SemiConductor, Fairchild Semiconductor and other companies in sales and management positions.
My campaign promises are simple, clear, and achievable:
- I am committed to
- improving our community by continuing to strengthen our beliefs in diversity, equality, and individuality in order to take our town to the next level of success.
- I will seek to creatively find ways to bring about a better understanding between schools, law enforcement, and our community, in ways that will benefit everyone.
- I will make decisions based on my educational knowledge, personal experiences and on principles that I believe will best benefit the entire Newtown Community.
- I will be honest, open, and understanding to the needs of our community.
So Newtown, I strongly encourage everyone to please register and vote for any of the candidates or party of your choice in this election. The only difficult choice that you really have to make regarding this election will be finding the right time to get out and vote. Please remember that voting is one of our country’s sacred rights. It was during the American Revolution that our ancestors rebelled against the British so that they could have the right to vote to shape the country’s destiny. Their sacrifices ultimately gave us the privilege to create our identity, choose our destiny, to live free, and vote . In today’s new world we continue to defend these privileges against all foes, foriegn and domestic. That is why it is so important to exercise these rights that have been given to us when called upon to do so. So please get out and vote. ,
That being said, I would truly be grateful if you would vote for me for the office of Police Commission.
Thank you for your consideration and support for the opportunity to help our Newtown Community achieve its goals for the future.
Philip J. Cruz MAJ. Philip J. Cruz USA (Ret.)
Can you help Phil win in November with a donation to the DTC?